Picture Says It All

Picture Says It All

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Last night I went to Paddy Murphy's Irish Pub. It is a pretty cool place (go on Monday and Wednesday nights when Jon is tending the bar) even though it is the most modern Irish pub I have ever been in. The only bad thing about it is that it does not serve Budweiser beer or Bud Lite. However, Harp lager is close enough in taste to feel like Budweiser. The food is awesome, and in huge portions. Usually, the place is pretty laid back, after all it is Baldwin Park. However, last night (Monday) was the exception. I went there to watch the Boston Celtics-Orlando Magic game.

After enduring the blow-out on Saturday night, I entered the pub just hoping the Magic would just try. I mean if they were going to get swept in four games by the Celtics, at least go out trying to win the game. However, much to my amazement Orlando's players went far beyond trying. They did the unexpected: they won the game in overtime. And that was fucking awesome! Even more amazing were the people inside of Paddy Murphy's. I expected the 'fans' to consist of me and a couple of other people. Instead, the place was crowded with Magic fans. And as the game wore on the Magic fans began to get rowdier and louder. Now you have to understand Baldwin Park folks. Usually getting rowdy for them involves someone kindly asking another person to pick up his or her's doggy poop. To actually see and hear them jump up and down, scream and shout and clap their hands together is something else altogether. I guess it was all of that pent up resentment against the national media, the Boston Celtics, and the Boston sports fans-all of which seemingly cannot say enough bad things about the Magic (after game three they were deserved) and the City of Orlando. I knew there was a reason why I already have tickets for Games Five and Seven of the Eastern Conference Finals of the NBA play-offs.

No comments:

Post a Comment